Thursday 26 January 2012

Still life photography-food

Your task is to create a still life photograph on the subject of food. Compare your image to other's work.


Still life photography is the depiction of inanimate subject matter, most typically a small grouping of objects. Still life photography, more so than other types of photography, such as landscape or portraiture, gives the photographer more leeway in the arrangement of design elements within a composition.

Here are a few examples of still life food photography that I found just from the internet, most of these images are very commercial based, mainly with clean and simple images lit evenly, serving a commercial advertisement purpose. 

I wanted to find some more art based photography, that fits with the brief of taking a still life food image whilst also fitting with a style that I find interesting and more challenging than the above.



Here are some images taken by Martin Parr, this style of still life food photography is very different from the style above. The image looks very unstaged in a dark room with Parr having used a flash, producing harsh shadowing on the image. I like the way the doughnut has been placed onto a menu or magazine type page, this gives it a fun childlike feel. It reminds me of an American dinner type area, whilst looking appealing this image doesn't look as professional as the images above. I like the fun aspect to this image and I like that it is different from traditional advertisement style image. 

...........Here I experimented with making an image in the style of Martin Parr. Although I have achieved a similar style of work to Parr it isn't a style that I particularly like or find interesting and challenging. 

I started to look else where for interesting still life photography, I came across Andy Grimshaw, whose work I find much more interesting. 

I started by looking at this image of fruit in yoghurt, taken by Grimshaw, although this work is still very staged with lighting and it looks like a very clean and simple image, similar to the work above which I said I didn't like, somehow this seems more my style and it is more interesting than the advertisement shots above. 



These three images are from a set of images, all of the same style, taken by Grimshaw. These are my favorite images on his website, I really like the dramatic lighting on the black background giving strong bold colours. Whilst being still life food images these images are interesting in themselves, they are exciting and eye catching. This is the style of image I want to produce.

...................



No comments:

Post a Comment