Wednesday 23 May 2012

Personal Statement

I am currently studying a BTEC Extended Diploma in Photography, where I have maintained distinction grade. Following successful completion of this course, I have decided to extend my education further at degree level. I have always been interested in creative subjects, completing GCSE and AS level Art, with grades B and C respectively. This background has given me a creative, multimedia influence to photography and has enabled me to produce exciting, eye-catching work as demonstrated in my portfolio.
I have enjoyed working in both film and digital formats. I am confident using darkrooms for film processing and printing images, as well as mixing chemicals to the required ratios. Experimenting with alternative darkroom techniques has allowed me to be more creative in my work. I have used several film cameras including medium and large format, displaying my interest in exploring different methods of image capture. I have a good knowledge of the vast array of tools available in Photoshop and have used them to enhance and manipulate my digital images.
Alongside this course I have completed some work experience with a professional wedding photographer, which built my confidence in working with large groups and unfamiliar people. This led to undertaking some wedding photography projects myself, taking responsibility for planning which photographs were to be taken and also designing the album. These involved adapting quickly to changes in weather and other problems as they arose, which shows that I am capable of working under pressure. I was also recommended to a play director by my tutor who asked me to take some images, as well as design and produce a poster using some of those images, to advertise a Buxton Fringe Festival play. This gave me experience of producing high-quality work, working to deadlines and fulfilling client requirements.
My photography work has been particularly inspired by Sally Mankus' work with mixed media. As a result I experimented with printing on materials, both digitally and in the darkroom, which encouraged my interest in alternative photography techniques. Research into the work of Sally Mann has led me, in more recent projects, to challenge myself to make my images contain more context along with hidden meaning, as is found in her work. As part of my course I have visited art galleries in London as well as in my local area and these have shown me the many different ways that work can be shown to the public. My own work has been displayed in a local exhibition, giving me the opportunity to experience public opinion towards my work.
Earlier this year, I entered a photography competition and won membership to the Derby Photographic Society. This has increased my confidence in displaying my work to other photographers. The society's competitions have given me the experience of having my work critiqued by independent judges; their constructive comments have allowed me to improve my subsequent entries and work. I have been working part-time as a Retail Assistant at Birds the Confectioners for three years. I have always been on time and never had an unplanned absence, showing commitment and punctuality. It has also taught me skills in interacting with members of the public in a professional manner. I was a member of Derby Cathedral Girls' Choir between the ages of 10 and 18, singing three times a week at rehearsals and services. I have travelled all over Europe with the choir, without parents, demonstrating greater independence from a young age. I believe that I also demonstrate this independence in my photography work.
I have worked well on the BTEC course and I feel I have pushed myself to reach my true potential. I am confident that I can produce interesting and technically sound images; however, I am interested in widening my knowledge, particularly in image manipulation and unexplored techniques. I am excited about the prospect of starting the degree-level course where I am confident I can excel.

No comments:

Post a Comment