Friday 24 February 2012

FUJIFILM STUDENT AWARDS-Ellen Rogers

I have decided to change my final images slightly by layering multiple images together to create the style I had initially thought of, making the body appear to be something else.
Ellen rogers is a famous fashion photographer who works solely with analogue photography, using various dark-room techniques to create a 'dreamworld' style to her images. One technique she uses is to layer more than one negative to create a single image. I feel this is the most appropriate technique to use in order to create the desired images.

This is an example of Rogers' work where the layering technique has been used. You can see definitely two separate images, one of the portrait and the other of trees. It is amazing that she has used darkroom techniques to create these images, meaning she must have dodged parts of the images to create this fabulous graduated layering technique. This can easily be done digitally however I understand this is much more challenging in the dark-room.





This is another example of her work which uses the same multi-print style. This image is more 50/50 it it's opacity levels between each image, there is a section on the left hand side where the trees are more visible than the portraits, however the rest of the image is pretty balanced between the two levels. I actually prefer the above image, where one layer is more prominent than the other in certain places as I think this looks much more subtle, making the viewer look twice. The opacity levels will depend upon the individual images, and which parts of the images I will prefer to accentuate and which I can leave faded.





Most of her images use this same technique of projecting two separate images however this image demonstrates a different technique of layering the two negative literally over each other, this gives the line on the page, where the edge of the negative has been projected. I must admit that I actually prefer the other style of image, where more work has to be done to create a more complete-looking image, with smooth graduations between the different opacity of each layer. In some ways it depends very much on the images being layer, how they will look most effective when using the different techniques.


I am going to experiment with different dark-room techniques with my images, however I realise that this is something that may require lots of time and practicing, which I haven't got, in which case I will have to digitally manipulate the images to get the desired look.

No comments:

Post a Comment